Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Mohican 100 is Bitter Sweet

Three members of the team traveled to Ohio to face 100 miles of the Mohican National Forest. As the team arrived the night shapped up like any other race. We registered, prepared the bikes and then went to sleep. This is where the race really began.

The night was humid, hot and our room held all that warmth. Then after a few hours of sleep some of us where woken up by the sound of thunder and heavy rain. Eventually we fell back to sleep only to be woke up by the shrill noise of our cell phone alarms. Already tired it was time to get ready to go to the start line.

As I pulled up to the start line I was tired and a little depleted from the humid night. I knew it was going to be a hard day when I was looking down the start line and all I could see was the mile long climb. After the announcements of last year’s winner and the primary sponsor Smith & Nephew the siren sounded and we where off, racing!

The mile long climb blew by and before I knew it we where into the single track. But not just any single track. Nope, last night’s rain made everything muddy and slippery. Rock, roots and grass all became points to negotiate. Within the first four miles of downhill trails I wreck twice but, that seemed to be the norm for the day.

For me, at aid station one my misery started to take a toll on my outlook of the race and by the time I hit the second aid station (36 miles in almost 6 hours! Six hours of hiking uphill and sliding downhill in the mud.) I was mentally out of the race. This was my first DNF (did not finish) in four years of racing not due to a mechanical problem.

As I made my way back to the lodge at the finish line I could only guess how the other members in the team where doing. I know they were in front but I was not sure where.

When I got back I waited for the Cycletherapy team to cross the line. After 10 hours our Elite racer crossed the finish line then a little over 12 hours our second rider crossed.

The conditions of the race course were the most difficult I have experienced. The hill climbs where double the elevation of anything we have in southeastern Michigan. Had the course been dry it would have been a blast to race. So, next year I will be back to get my revenge at Mohican.


Ed B.

No comments: